Monday, October 16, 2006

i have arrived

well, the first day was weird and crazy. the Stiffs picked me up, took me to Antigua. met another American couple friend of theirs, had dinner with them, went to the house where i'll be living and no one was there. walked around and went back later, no one was there. went back to the Stiffs house and spent the night. Kyle brought me to the school this morning. i just finished the first half of my first lesson. we're on a break now. i just tried to talk to a guy, but didn't really catch his name. he's from germany. i talked to him in spanish. it was hard. i'm sitting here wanting to cry. tears are coming and i don't know why. i appreciate your prayers. just overwhelmed i guess.

the city is pretty, but old. and there are people everywhere. and dogs. and it's busy. the streets are all cobblestone, so VERY bumpy. and narrow. and the driivng is crazy crazy. push and shove is the only way to get anywhere.

my teacher's name is Lesbia. she's 24 and from here. seems ok.

at noon my host family is going to come pick me and my luggage up and take me home. don't know what i'll do then. maybe have some lunch. i don't know. this is all so weird and scary and different.

the toilet paper in the trash can is really the way. speaking of which, i should try to find the "bano".

keep praying for me. i need it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome, Jenny! And no you aren't alone in wanting to cry - I've been there...especially when you want to communicate SO badly and nothing seems to work. I'll have to tell you the "elephant story"! Keep writing! I'm checking your blog every 15 minutes ;). - Marcie

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
Keep it up. The first day can be very challenging. Maybe after a meal and night's sleep, things will be a little easier. We're praying for you and thinking of you alot.
Love,
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny!
Hang in there kiddo - the first week will be hard - overwhelming for sure and then you will adapt and adjust and it will get a lot better. I know the mix of emotions you are feeling - every new country I went to I felt extremely fragile and weepy for my first few days or week and then it's amazing how you will adjust and eventually feel comfortable and enjoy it :) My advice is to find a safe place (like your room) where you can be alone and just let those tears flow! You'll feel better later :) I'm praying for friends for you - some cool people to come across your path soon that you can experience your adventure with!
We prayed for you in Chapel today!
love Tammy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe no one was there to meet you. How rude!!!! Thankfully you had the Stiffs to help you out. I'm glad you made it safely though, and you know that my prayers are ALWAYS with you. Hang in there. It can only get better :-)

Love you, mom

Anonymous said...

You made it! I'm so proud of U! BTW my door is still open ;o) Hope U found the bano; otherwise, now's a good time for some funnel action!!!