Sunday, June 10, 2007

chinese buffet update

my first chinese experience was really back in the day in my hometown. my oldest friend, Dawn, and i would go once a week or so to the buffet here in Brenham. they were never really busy, but they're still in business. the food was always decent and enough to fill us up.

so, i thought it fitting that my next chinese buffet attempt be at the original location. last weekend i had Saturday to myself, so i decided to do things that i would enjoy and that my mom wouldn't be jealous of. i had chinese buffet for lunch and went to the movies and saw Ocean's Thirteen (she doesn't like either).

when i walked in, i was pleased to see more people than i'd ever seen before. i was greeted with a smile, ordered my Mountain Dew, and made my way over to the buffet. my first surprise were the donuts WITH sugar. my second surprise was chicken on a stick. and my third surprise was steamed rice. (please revert back to the previous buffet post to see the difference.) these things seem small, but believe me ... it makes a huge difference in an appetizing meal.

everything was going fine until i got over to the beef with broccoli ... there was no broccoli! instead, there were green peppers and onions. very odd. the chicken with broccoli had broccoli, but also contained shrimp. again, odd. ah, but what's over there? BBQ chicken pieces. yum! that's new to my palette at a chinese place, so i tried it, and of course, being the BBQ lover that i am, enjoyed it. there was also the normal looking sweet and sour chicken and lo mein noodles. so all in all, i enjoyed my experience.

i wouldn't say that it was wonderful enough to go back to on a weekly basis, like the places in Colorado i became spoiled by. but, maybe once a month or so for a chinese fix wouldn't be so bad. at least they had food i recognized. and ... at least they had donuts with sugar! :-)

No comments: