Tuesday, March 06, 2007

a new life

so i've finally decided to go back to work. i'll be working as an assistant manager of a Sonic in Kingwood, Texas. i'll be living about 10 miles away from there in my parents' travel trailer in an RV park. the trailer is a nice one ... 35-feet long, three slide-outs, a fireplace even! and the park is really open and clean, has a pool, laundry, basic cable channels, and wireless internet (and the rent is much cheaper than in an apartment).

one good point is that it's all temporary. the timeframe is unknown, but as soon as i'm ready to be a manager of my own store and a position opens up, i'll be taking it and probably moving again. so, the second good point is that a travel trailer is easy to move (wheels!) and the space is being paid for month to month, so there's no contract i have to get out of. and the third good point is that it's furnished, so i don't have to worry about moving all my stuff from Colorado into a new place just to move it again in 6 months.

when my house sells, i'll move everything into a storage unit nearby and wait until the timing is right to buy a new house.

until then, i start working on Monday (March 12). my cousin owns this particular store, so he's going to be teaching me all the finer points of management. all the operations of the store í'll have to learn on my own with the help of the employees. i'm quite a bit nervous because i haven't worked in such an environment in 13 years. it's fast and crazy nearly all day long, with no breaks, eating while working, hardly sitting down, and 6 days a week. some days i'll have to be there at 6:30 in the morning and others i'll have to start at 4 in the afternoon. granted, i've done all this before, but i was 16 at the time.

anyways...

my family is thrilled to have me close by again. and it's good to have a job where i know the potential for growth is available and totally up to me and my abilities. and even though the temporary-ness of my life right now is kinda freakin' me out, i know that's good too.

so, that's what's going on. i'm not sure when i'm going to make it back to Colorado. this wasn't my initial plan when i left a few weeks ago, but it's the best decision for now. my new plan is to work until my house sells, then come back to Colorado to pack it up and move, then go back to work. hopefully when that happens i'll see most of you for at least a few minutes. :-)

my phone number will stay the same until my house sells. but if you need my physical address, you can mail stuff to my parents' house...

Jenny Mills
c/o Oma Mills
8775 Lone Star Rd.
Washington, TX 77880

i know i can do anything i set my mind to, but i'm worried i don't have the stamina for this kind of work anymore. when you think of me, i would appreciate your prayers for my body. i haven't stood for 8 hours in a long time. thanks. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Think about this. When your GPa started in 1973 (Brenham) he was 50 and your GMa was 48. Thirty-One should be a piece of cake!