Tuesday, December 19, 2006

first impressions (USA)

you need a car here in the big state of Texas and the little city of Brenham. even though there are less people here than in Antigua, the city is so spread out that if you don't have a car, it could be the end of the day by the time you got to the grocery store.

everything is clean. the buildings. the roads. the people. i really like clean.

the roads are straight and flat and for the most part without holes.

it's quiet here. very quiet. i have yet to hear firecrackers or a honking horn.

there are no buses.

there are no ants crawling on the wall behind my bed. there aren't dogs running the streets. there are no people walking along the highway carrying stuff atop their heads. there aren't any children on the corners selling stuff (well, drugs in some cases, but you know what i mean). it's very UNpopulated here.

i have to make my own food, but i have choices (it's a trade-off). i have entertainment whenever i choose. i have privacy. i can communicate. i understand all the words on all the signs, TV, and whatever the people say in every place i've been thus far.

Americans are much more rude than Guatemalans. when i was in North Carolina waiting for my plane i bought a candy bar. the lady who took my money never said hello, never said thank you, never made eye contact. in Guatemala they would have greeted me as soon as i walked inside the door, offered to help me find something, offered me 5 other things as well, and thanked me twice before i left. yes, they NEED the money whereas this was just a job for this woman, but still, a smile and thank you would have been much more appealing.

i've realized i miss speaking spanish. i don't miss not understanding, but i do miss talking with my teachers in spanish over ice cream or a game of cards. i also miss walking. i guess i have to go outside and just walk for 15 minutes with no place to go. my body is feeling very lazy and fat. i'm not even hungry.

i'm also sick. i spent 9 weeks in Guatemala and wasn't sick from anything. the day i return i feel sick. now, three days later, i have a full-out cold.

even though i'm not a morning person and much prefer silence, i did enjoy being greeted with smiles and happiness from Adolfo every morning at breakfast. "Buenos dias, Yenny, como estas?!"

everytime i need to walk by someone i want to say "Permiso." i can't get rid of that urge of politeness and sometimes say it anyway. i was so polite in Guatemala, with every person i was around, and here ... well ... i'm not. it feels weird.

with that said, "Feliz Cumpleanos, Grandma & Melissa!" :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny ~
Just got back from vacation and have caught up. Glad you are home safe and sound, but the transition is difficult. You will never be the same again! That's ok.
See yu soon!
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Sorry I fell behind on my blog reading. I'm glad your home. The US needs you. I sympathize with the bitter sweetness of returning home. When I came back from my green island I kept wondering why complete strangers weren't walking up and telling me jokes, why there weren't any musicians on the street and most of all a strange empty feeling because there were no horses gliding along next to traffic. It gets better but it will always remain with you.