Friday, September 29, 2006

remember when...

i was reminded today while talking to my friend Christine (what up, chickie!?) why i want to do what i want to do. normally i'm just not really thinking about it because thinking about it freaks me out. to think that in two weeks exactly i'll be working my last day at OC for 2+ months and boarding a plane the next day to begin my adventure of the unknown is just plain freaky and unsettling. yes, i am excited, but very nervous at the same time. so to help settle the unsettling i don't think about it too much. however, it's good to remember why...

Reason #1: while on my recent cruise, my friend and i got seated with Spanish-speaking tablemates, of which the husband spoke English & Spanish, but the wife only knew Spanish. i wanted so much to be able to just talk to her and understand her response. one day i planned it all out ... for like 20 minutes i was thinking, "What can i actually say to them that they'll understand and then they can talk to me about it in English?" so i finally worked it out in my head that i'll ask them what they did that day. so i went to dinner and there they were. after ordering our dinner i leaned over and said, "Que ustedes hacer hoy?" and then immediately asked, "Did i say that right?" and he says to me, "I think so; you asked 'What did you do today?'" WOW! i about fell over with happiness. i actually said something that made sense! he then proceeded to tell me what they did that day, in English. :-)

just telling Christine that and how i felt and reliving the situation in my head got my excitement up to think one day i can sit with Spanish-speaking tablemates and actually talk to them!

Reason #2: several months back i was in a buffet line and there was a Spanish-speaking family in front of me. the dad was putting food on his son's plate and the son says, "Quiero mas!" and i remember standing there being so thrilled that i knew exactly what that little boy said. i was thrilled just to recognize a simple phrase such as "I want more!" exactly ... i want to know more!

imagine me, in just three weeks, when i'm in Guatemala trying my hardest to make sounds come out of my mouth that are so foreign in my head. when i finally get it, and even more when i finally understand what someone else says, i'm going to flip out with excitement.

2 comments:

Claire and Lara said...

the feeling of understanding something you overhear in another country is *truly* awesome....

i agree!

Anonymous said...

Got your email today about your impending trip. I'm really excited for you! Remember my blunder in Japan? Learn all you can; enjoy the trip, the food, the culture, and the language.