Thursday, September 20, 2007

job

a couple of weeks ago i met with a woman who runs a mailing/shipping/gift store and also has a marketing firm inside of it run by herself and her husband. she contracts out a lot of graphic design work and talked with me briefly about the possibility of freelance work and maybe part-time work in the store. she finally was able to meet with me again today to have a real conversation about it all.

this afternoon i met with her and the guy she gives a lot of the major graphic work to. we sat fairly casually and talked about their needs/ideas and my needs and 45 minutes later we parted. their ideas are that i work part-time in three different roles. 1) counter help in the store, 2) graphic work through her marketing firm (small things, stuff that doesn't require a ton of art direction), 3) graphic work for the lead designer on a contract basis.

the hope is that between the three jobs i will stay busy, challenged, and financially stable enough to move out of Mom's house and support myself here in Brenham.

she is going to talk with her husband about the gross amount i need, then further think/discuss about the three jobs to figure out what it would more closely look like and get back to me (hopefully soon).

in the meantime, i'm continuing to teach myself a complicated, yet widely-used web application. it's good that i've been learning it, because it came up in our discussion today. so my eagerness to learn actually proved helpful today ... and, it motivated me to continue learning, even though i was highly frustrated with the program earlier today. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Jenny, go Jenny, go Jenny!! Yeah, I knew you would find something that suited your needs.