Friday, October 27, 2006

Volcan, part 2

so, there it was, lava. red. orange. beautiful. it moved slowly down the hill, but then collapsed over the side. when it broke, it sounded like glass breaking. it never occurred to me that there would be noise. but it was amazing. and up at the top of either the same volcano or another one, you could see lava spewing up in the canal or cone or whatever you call it.

what was bad was that about the time we reached a place to start taking pictures, it started raining. it always rains, so this was expected. we walked a little farther, to get closer, and the rain lessoned. and then we climbed over lava rocks to get a little closer, which, in my opinion, was totally unnecessary and very dangerous. i have battle wounds to prove it. my hand has at least 6 cuts on it from bracing myself as i traversed the rocks. nothing to hold on to, so better my hand to be cut than my entire body from falling over. seriously, you could REALLY hurt yourself.

and then it was time to go down. slippery. difficult. slow. i stepped wrong and twisted my ankle. fell down on the side of my leg in the dirt. only hurt my ankle though.

finally, the bottom. finally, a chance to sit down. needless to say, i earned a soda and snickers bar. :-)

the drive home was fast, the regular amount of time, 1.5 hours. i got into bed at midnight exactly. a very long evening.

all night, it was hard to get comfortable because of my ankle. you don't realize how much your ankles bend until you can't bend one of them. ouch! this morning i woke up not as tired as i'd expected. i also am not sore at all. i am really surprised. the only thing that hurts is my ankle. but i can walk on it, so it'll be better very soon.

this morning i ate french toast for breakfast. yum! i gathered my laundry and began my walk. i walked about a block and a half and there was a tuk-tuk (taxi), so i took it to the laundromat and to school. for the first time i didn't walk all the way to school. it felt weird. and very bumpy. tuk-tuks are not the most comfortable or shock-absorbant vehicles. they're basically a motorcycle with a box on the back of it for two passengers. it's weird, but it gets you there. cost me Q10.

class thus far today has been ok. i basically said, "no, i'm only doing two sentences" and "no, i didn't do my homework and i don't care." i stuck to my guns and therefore didn't feel stupid, small, and frustrated.

after class is over (because my break is now over), i will post the pictures from last night. not much to see. it's seriously just black with red blobs. but i'll post them anyway. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for french toast and tuk-tuks!