Monday, October 30, 2006

tengo un neuvo maestro

his name is Hugo. that's pronounced "u-hu" or something like that. he's very nice, very encouraging, and has yet to speak one word of English. i'm not sure if that's good or bad... *L* it's good, because i really have to think hard to follow, understand, and converse. but it's a little bad because explanations are hard to understand.

we first did our "get to know eachother" conversation, all in Spanish. he's 30, lived his whole life in Antigua, has 5 brothers and 2 sisters, and is Catholic (as is everyone it seems). then we went over the verbs Ser, Estar, Saber, and Conocer. those were the ones i'd learned already with Lesbia. but then he started teaching me Tener and Haber. oh my goodness! i feel a bit overwhelmed and don't really understand some of it, but will ask Adolfo & Anna about it this afternoon and hopefully get some clarity. It makes sense, but i need more sense. :-)

anyways, i think Hugo will be good for me. he's very encouraging. after i say something right he says, "Perfecto!" makes me feel like i'm doing SOMEthing right. very nice.

i must walk home for lunch now. today's breakfast was two fried eggs with slices of ham on top. they were a bit salty, but still better than vegetables. :-)

P.S. my ankle is much better. nearly back to normal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay - a positive teacher!! I'm so glad he is more encouraging! My teacher only spoke in Spanish, too. While it can be overwhelming, I think it helped me overall, you know? Even though I couldn't get EVERY word, I could understand context and it helped me understand context in everyone else's conversations too :o)....let the eavesdropping begin....

Anonymous said...

Wow. You take the weekend off from checking the blog and you miss half of your life...or so it seems. I think you will find the "no english" thing that Hugo is doing harder but better as you have thought. Something about being forced to learn that aids in the process - of learning that is...not necessarily of enjoyment. Glad you got to Cafe Condesa. Sorry the Hot chocolate was not good. We warned you about pastries I think...look great taste less than great. If you haven't been to Dona Luisas that is another great place. Good ice cream there. Some interesting flavors. You will find that ice cream cappuchino is not coffee flavored but actually dipped in chocolate and usually covered with chopped nuts. Just a word to the wise. Dona Luisas is just up the main road from the square on the opposite side of the street from the church. In other words, if facing the church, it would be on the steet to the left a couple blocks up.They used to have a bunch of flags out front. A neat Jade factory up there somewhere too with a cool tour. Keep at it. I can tell you are really improving, just by your increased use of Spanish in your blog and how well you get around town and do all this stuff by yourself. Good for you. Learn a little, use it a lot!!