Friday, October 20, 2006

childsplay

remember the game "memory"? you have matching cards turned upside down, flip over one at a time and try to make matches. we played that today. i learned elephant, clown, peanuts, mouse, fire, cloud, etc. my teacher laughed at me when i couldn't remember the name of it. at which point i told her not to laugh at me. my feelings were starting to get hurt. but overall playing the game was fun. i had to name the things on the card before we could flip them back over. so i guess i learned some stuff. though i can't remember some of them right now...

anyways...

Around 5 p.m. yesterday I walked from school down to the central park area and bought a phone card for 100 minutes (Q100 = approx $14 = 14 cents/minute). I sat in the park for a few minutes. It’s really busy all around there. It’s the main place to be. There is a big fountain in the middle of the park. It’s very pretty. And there is some really big building on the east side of the park. Don’t know what it is, but it’s very pretty and looks very important. After a few minutes I walked home. By the time I got home it was nearly dark. It was only about 6:15 p.m.

During the walk I looked for really cool doors to take pictures of. This weekend I plan to walk a lot throughout the city to check out what I haven’t seen yet and try to figure out my way around and maybe find a good restaurant to eat at on Sunday. On Sundays the family does not serve any food. I guess it’s considered a day of rest. :-) makes sense to me, but it means I have to venture out and try to scrounge up something for myself. there are a lot of places to eat, so I shouldn’t have too much trouble. I hope.

Dinner last night was black bean soup, white rice, lima beans, and rolls (semi-soft). we mixed the write rice with the soup and therefore made it taste better. :-) Patrick and Adolfo talked a lot to each other. Anna ate with us for the first time (for dinner, that is) and chimed in periodically. But I sat there listening the whole time. just listening. Trying to pick up what few words I know. I got a few every now and then, but not enough to completely understand and certainly not enough to participate in commenting or laughing. I was only able to determine three things during that 45 minutes – the subject of money in different countries, Patrick found out what to do with the house key in the morning when he leaves, and there are two reservations for students coming in November. Other than that, I have no idea. Oh, there was mention of Alaska, but I don’t know why.

today's breakfast was fruit ... pineapple and canteloupe. it was frozen, so Adolfo nuked it all in the microwave. the canteloupe was still a little frozen in the center, but on the outside it was rather soggy. the pineapple was warm and extremely sour. i ate most of it and then snuck a roll from dinner from the breadbox.

well, it's nearly time to walk home for lunch. hope i like it. i posted a few more pictures to the same album, so if you want you can sift through them. hasta luego! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola, bueno verle! No sé español. No le confundiré. Tan ahora escribiré en inglés.

I guess there are many versions of spanish and that's probably a generic version and not the one you are currently learning.

We couldn't pick out the new pictures - thought maybe the park and the one of the table were new. i guess that was the school2 pic? if it's not we probably just missed that one. We didn't do a good job sifting through to find the new pics.

Sounds like you are settling in and the class wasn't so bad today. The memory game sounds like a cool way to learn. is it elefante?

amor y abrazos
S&A