Monday, August 21, 2006

to read or not to read

for a non-reader, i have hope that one day i will become a reader. and an avid one at that. at least i have a goal. :-)

seriously though, i've never really liked to read, much to the disappointment of the females in my family. and the unknown reason bothers me. in a desperate attempt to change, once a year or so i try to become a reader. i wander into Barnes & Noble, browse around until i find something that will hold my attention, then buy it. usually i arrive with some preconceived idea of what book i will look for and then expand on it, eventually buying two after reading the first chapter of each.

yesterday i explaimed in irritable fashion, "I want to be a reader!" today i went to Barnes & Noble and bought two books to fill the yearly ritual.

in five years or less i may or may not have read them and will be torn as to whether i should keep them or put them in the goodwill pile. and, if i don't actually read them both in the next month or two, they'll go on the shelf and mock me every time i pass by.

i buy books with the hope i will become a reader.

and, for a non-reader, i find it fascinating that i want to be a writer.

wish me luck ... i now have four books to fill the next two weeks of my vacation. for a non-reader, i certainly have high aspirations. *L*

1 comment:

Ched said...

Don't give up. You can do it.